Sunday, November 14, 2010

How did we pick such a popular name?

We thought we were being so creative.... it was on our last big holiday in Mallorca, Spain, before baby arrived that we got down to a short list of girls and boys names for our little bubba. We both had separate lists, created after combing carefully through a baby names book... Jason suggested "Owen" and it made it through each rounds of cuts and became the winner. Noah was our #2 name. Payton was our girls name.

Now.... I have heard of SO MANY Owens, Noahs, and Paytons. How did that happen? What's funny is Owen is a really rare name in the UK, where we were when he was born, so it truly was unique. Then we get back here and every time I'm out I hear moms yelling at their Owens and hear stories about other baby Owens all around. And Noahs. A boatload (or an ark-load...ha... this why Noah didn't win, by the way). And Paytons. My roommate from college, as a matter of fact, had a Payton in August.

Turns out, Owen was the #36 most popular boys name in 2009. Well, Noah was #6, so I guess between the 2 we chose right. http://www.babycenter.com/top-baby-names-2009

I still love the name Owen, but have come to accept that his kindergarten class will be full of other little Owens. There's no way they'll be as cute and wonderful as my Owen, but still. They will exist.

1 comment:

  1. Well, he's the only Owen I know. Now Isabel- that seems to be every little girl's name.

    ReplyDelete