Friday, December 18, 2009

Baby has arrived!

All of you likely know this by now, but on Monday, December 14 2009 at 7:11pm Owen Daniel Vonderhaar arrived! He was 7 pounds 7 ounces and just under 21 inches long. Healthy and happy!

Here's my labor story - feel free to not read this if you are faint of heart or haven't had kids yet and don't want any scary stories. Although this isn't a particularly scary labor story as they go.

My water broke at 6am on Monday and contractions started at 8am. We went to the hospital at around 930... they sent us home as I was only 2 cm dilated. Big mistake, in my opinion, as it took ages to get home (via cab) and we only spent 1.5 hours at home before heading back. I was in a LOT of pain! When we got to the hospital I was 5 cm dilated. Pretty much begging for an epidural at this point but they were very busy so the doctor couldn't get to me for a few hours - I was 8 cm dilated at that point. NOT a fun time to try to get a needle stuck into your spine! But we managed and it made me a human being again instead of a screaming monster. The epidural made me pretty sick though (but the pain relief made it totally worth it). At 7pm I got sick and the baby's heart rate dropped dramatically, so a doctor rushed in and decided baby needed to come out NOW. I was fully dilated. Baby needed some assistance coming out but literally 6 minutes after I started pushing we had our little son!

I had some issues later - I passed out when they tried to move me to the maternity ward, which was quite dramatic and I think scarred Jason emotionally - but eventually we got there. We were home by 9pm the next day.

It's been an adventure so far! We are exhausted and learning as we go, but it's all worth it as Owen is the cutest little thing in the whole world and we are absolutely in love with him. (:

Photos to follow at some point, and I will try to continue to update the blog as we go through the adventure of parenthood together.

love
Chris, Jason and Owen

1 comment:

  1. hey!! when's a good time to skype this weekend? preferably at a time when owen is awake so you can hold him up to the camera!!

    im around all weekend, since its snowing and all :) baking cookies and wrapping presents.

    glad you are all home healthy and snuggly together in time for Christmas as a family! :)

    ReplyDelete