Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Getting ourselves a baby education!

Lots has gone on in the past week!

Last week we went to a baby first aid class, which was great. It was 3 hours and went over what to do if the baby isn't breathing or if she's choking. I feel really good about having taken it. I will probably take the second part of the class next Monday where they teach us some further basic first aid and about lots of bad stuff that can happen to babies. Scary, but good stuff to know.

Sunday and Monday we had our intensive all day NCT classes - that's the National Childbirth Trust. It was really really good. There were 6 other couples there from around our area (so potential new mum friends!). We talked about late pregnancy, lots and lots about birth and labor, pain relief options and life with a newborn. Some real reality checks there. Scary, but good to be extra prepared. Lots of it we had heard about or read about before, but a lot we hadn't. Ah, the graphic photos! The ridiculously personal conversations! Also, a big British news station came and interviewed the mums on our views on the swine flu vaccine. So I was on the 1230 and 630 news. Unfortunately, I didn't see it because we were in class all day. Friends recorded it for us, apparently I had 15 seconds of fame. (: Anyway... it was actually useful because they brought an expert who answered questions and talked to us about the vaccine. It has almost swayed us to get me to take the vaccine, which is actually not available yet but when it arrives at my GP (next week) I will be top priority as I am in the highest risk group.

Here's my update:

How far along?: 32 weeks, 6 days
Total weight gain: 26 lbs
Pregnancy symptoms: Exhausted. Upper back is KILLING me. Indigestion here and there. Braxton Hicks.
Sleep: Ok I guess. Waking up more often, more awkward and uncomfy, etc.
Movement: Jiggling and shaking!
Food cravings/ weird crap I'm eating: Normal.
Gender/ names: I have no intuition, but the guesses in our baby class was half and half....
What I miss: Back pain-free sitting.
Best moment this week: Seeing the look on Jason's face during some of the labor and birth conversations at baby class. (:
Weekly Wisdom: Uh... it will end, they tell me..... 7 weeks....
Milestones: Today's topic: baby's hair! Our baby could have a full head of hair! Or, she could be bald. Also, if baby is born with thin hair, she's likely to have thin hair later in life, but if she's born with thick hair, it doesn't necessarily mean she'll have thick hair later. I'm voting for Dad's hair for the sake of our little one, especially if she's a girl!

That's it for now!

-Chris xoxo

3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely getting the H1N1 vaccine when it comes in next week. I really don't feel good about it either, but EVERY person I've asked in the medical profession (including Mom & Dad's doctor friends) has told me I have to, no real choice. The benefits outweigh the risks, apparently. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck if you get the vaccine. Definitely a stressful decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sister. FOllow your gut instincts. It's a tough position to be in (so much info, media, and opinions!)! Good luck with your decision! That's between you and Jason! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete