Monday, November 23, 2009

36.5 week midwife appointment

Just a quick update as I had a midwife appointment this morning. Everything looks fine with baby! I am measuring exactly where I should be - 37 cm from top of the pubic bone to top of uterus. I'm supposed to be within 2 cms of the number of weeks I am, so perfect.

Baby is head down and starting to engage, which is exciting. Of course, when I asked how engaged baby is - they measure on a scale of 1 to 5 - the midwife said, "Oh, I don't know, I never guess because I'm always wrong." Hmmm.

I also probed the midwife on induction, and the picture she painted wasn't pretty. I see my GP in 2 weeks, then the midwives again on my due date. A week later - at 41 weeks - I see the midwives again and they do a 'sweep'. I'll spare you if you don't know what that is. Then they make an appointment for me to go into the hospital for a scan at 41 weeks + 3 days, during which they'll do another sweep and TALK about induction, which they generally schedule for 42 weeks. I think during that appointment I get to see a real live doctor.

It was at this point that I started protesting and pushing the midwife as to how much influence I have on how soon to get induced... I think in the end I can probably get them to induce me before 42 weeks, but I'm not sure how much before then.

HEY BABY - let's not get to the point where this an issue, ok?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing great - we are all in suspense!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm doing that thing where I go back and read your old posts because they line up with how pregnant I am, and it's interesting how in the US they induce at 41 weeks even though technically the baby might not be late yet. And c-sections are at 39 weeks!

    ReplyDelete